Founded in Gandersheim in 1923 as a small school community by Dr. Max and Dr. Gertrud Bondy, the school moved to the Gut Marienau estate in 1929, where it developed into one of the boldest experimental schools of its time. The Bondys’ story of success was interrupted by the rise of National Socialism in Germany that brought with it severe discrimination that the Bondy family could only escape by emigrating.
The Bondy house holds the archive of the Marienau school. This house was built in 1990 upon the initiative of alumni, “to document the work of the school’s founders and their successors and to keep it alive for the future”. The function and concept of our school archive are directly connected to these goals: The central target is to collect, archive and secure documentary material on the school’s history and provide increasing access to it.
Archive Schule Marienau
Archive of the Marienau school
The archive of the Marienau school is open by appointment:
Phone 05851 941-43